Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Scanning for Restorations

















I was going great guns and disappeared for a few days.  I've been building a family history photo site at shutterbug.  What fun!  I'm doing my birth family, my ex-in-laws, and my own.

A great many of my parent's family photos are missing.  Years ago I scanned what I had and through the past several years I've worked on restoring them.  Last year my brother brought what he had up from Florida and I scanned those, then gave him most of the originals that I had.  Now, to my chagrin, I discover that I did not scan most of those photos with high enough resolution to make good prints!!

If you are going to go to the trouble of scanning and restoring old photos scan them with at least 300
DPI!!  More is better.  Right now I'm scanning some at 600.  It takes longer.  It's worth it.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, research it on the internet, here's a good link to start:  http://www.yesteryearmemories.com/scanning_tips.asp

It's also a good place to look at the quality of work that you should aspire to, and take a look at those prices!  I would do it for less for you.  You could save lots of money learning to do it yourself if you enjoy working with photo editing. 

The photo today is not one of my family, but for a friend done with painstaking care.  Unfortunately, it does not have enough pixels to print!  Make sure you get your scans right.

No comments:

Post a Comment